Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Black Widow, The Power of Family


Okay, I know, on this one I’m a little behind the 8 ball. This is a movie I would like to have reviewed earlier but since it’s still doing quite well at the box office, I figure, better late than never. Black Widow is a Marvel movie I wanted to see when the trailers first started coming out pre Covid. I finally got to see it, but it unfortunately suffers from the curse of many a movie with great trailers. This new continuation of the Avenger story line for Marvel is enjoyable as it follows the character of the Black Widow and her family.  It has much of what has come to be expected for a Marvel movie and in many ways it delivers.

 

Directed by Cate Shortland we see Scarlett Johansson back as Natasha Romanoff, AKA the Black Widow. This time we also have the pleasure of having her family tagging alongside as we see a kind of origins story for the character that transfers over to Marvel’s current storyline. It is here the story becomes somewhat convoluted and hard to follow. It isn’t that the movie is short on action, I unfortunately heard how some thought the movie struggled and was boring, if it is boring it is in the attempt to figure out the storyline in the movie. Truth is, there is enough action and comedic moments to keep one going and entertained, it is in trying to figure out what is going on that becomes difficult. The action sequences in the film in my opinion are terrific, well edited, and well shot. Unfortunately, I appreciate story and The Black Widow just falls short and becomes too complicated in trying to figure everything out, including the characters and who they are and what drives them.

 

There are several worth while aspects of the movie. The characters and heroes in the movie are female driven. I appreciate movies like this that attempt to present women in strong roles. The success of Wonder Woman was an example of how this can be done. Of course, there is a well-played father figure, Alexi, played by David Harbour.  He provides comedic relief and while I had high hopes of his role from the trailers, he just isn’t in the movie enough and we could have had more of him as he was one of the most enjoyable characters on screen. There were times that it seems as if even Scarlett Johansson gets lost on screen with her character.

 

One of the great questions of the film, is what is it that constitutes family. While the Romanoff family is trying to save the world, there are clearly aspects of dysfunction in their family. Without giving anything away, one of the things that eventually comes into play, and in some ways is a theme of the movie is that true, real family is often far more than a blood association, but sometimes more of a spiritual concept. I am reminded of the power of adoption as an example. I have an adopted son who is as much a part of my family as my biological daughter. I don’t see or recognize a difference. It is a reminder of the concept the Bible speaks about in being adopted into the family of God. In Black Widow we see a form of this taking place. We see that despite rough times, disagreements, differences in personality, that family, in the end can conquer all when seen as family. It is in family that everyone can use their specific strengths in overcoming the difficulties and surroundings around us. In that regard, Black Widow delivers, more so than I thought it would, despite the lack of story.

 

This is not a great movie, but it is entertaining and enjoyable. It has good themes and like I said, it is still drawing crowds. I saw it on a Tuesday night, and it was still a sellout. It’s worth seeing but don’t expect the strength of some of the other Marvel films, don’t be disappointed that it doesn’t seem to fit up to the trailer for the movie. I will give another hint though, make sure you stay until the end of the credits for the closing hepiloguej that gives details as to an upcoming and future Marvel storyline.

 

On a sale of 1 – 10, it is still definitely better than average and will provide for a fun time at the movies. So I give it an entertaining 7


To see the trailer for the movie, click on the following link:

Marvel Studios’ Black Widow | New Trailer - YouTube 


For going on some thirty years now I have done the work of The Virtual Pew, in part planting seeds but another huge part is getting to know people and being called by many Pastor Mike by my involvement in social media. From engaging in life, I have seen the impact of my work on people on the fringes all over the world. I have run homeless programs, housed homeless people worked with drug addicts, prostitutes and much more. All while giving back my salary, and for the last 8+ years not taking a salary. You can help tremendously by supporting the work, not just from the movie reviews but the work that goes along side that in the development of relationships of helping save lives and give purpose to the lives of others. I appreciate your consideration in this calling that I have seen and know God uses. 


If willing to help, it is greatly appreciated. I ask you, do not write checks or make contributions to me. All contributions should be made either to The Virtual Pew or Mosaic. The Virtual Pew is a Religious Organization and Mosaic is a 501-C3 nonprofit. 


If willing to help this ministry continue you can donate online at the following.


Pay Pal to The Virtual Pew at 
mike@furches.org

Pay Pal to Mosaic at mikefurches@yahoo.com

If making contributions via pay pal, please designate as a gift to family or friends as to prevent us from having to pay additional fees to pay pal. 

You can donate at cash app at $MichaelFurches

Donations can be made at FaceBook via messenger to my facebook account Mike Furches

Or you can send a check to The Virtual Pew or Mosaic at the following address.
1249 North Saint Francis
Wichita Kansas, 67214

If desiring more information about this ministry or the testimonials from others, please don’t hesitate to ask. I really am dependent on others to support this missional ministry to keep it going. I have nothing left to give as I’ve depleted, and I’m not complaining, my savings and retirement accounts, now, it really is dependent on you to allow yourself to be used by God to help us out.

I am more than willing to share at your church, business and so forth. I have shared across America as to the work God has done and done for me. I love those opportunities.

Blessings and thank you,

Mike Furches


To Donate via Cash App, donate at $MichaelFurches


Click here to follow The Virtual Pew on Twitter

Mike Furches on Faceboook.

Click to subscribe to my blog

You can also check out Mike's Musical ventures by searching for Mike Furches and Pastor Mike and the Demon Slayer Blues Band. Mary Jane's album is available online and by contacting Mike and the Pastor Mike and Demon Slayer Blues Band album is available on over 150 download formats.

There are hundreds of postings so make sure to check out the archives on The Virtual Pew and Mike Furches Reviews. You can also contact me for a free audio book link of The Keystone Kid at mike@furches.org You can visit http://www.thevirtualpew.com/.

Hopefully, you will consider a gift to The Virtual Pew.

You can donate via paypal at mike@furches.org or cash app at $MichaelFurches

Now I get asked this quite often, Can we repost your blogs or articles? The short answer to that is, what an honor that you would ask, and by all means, spread the word. Here is our contact information

The Virtual Pew
1249 N. St. Francis
Wichita Kansas, 67214
Email: mike@furches.org

To follow Mike's Band, Pastor Mike and the Demon Slayer Blues Band, click the following link:

 

The Pastor Mike and Demon Slayer Blues Band


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5lrkdvEZGg

https://www.facebook.com/TheDemonSlayers 

The Movie Guys

Donations to The Virtual Pew

The Virtual Pew Blog

Reviews With Mike

The Virtual Pew Sermons

The Virtual Pew News

 

No comments: