Tuesday, March 1, 2022

1883, When Heartbreak Leads to Perfection

 


Over the years I’ve been criticized for some of the reviews I have done, more often than not often from those in the Christian Community.  For the life of me, I never expected to receive some of the criticism I did, (due to language) for this incredible series shown on the network Paramount+.  This series is a prequel written by one of the top new writers in entertainment now, Taylor Sheridan. Sheridian who created, writes, and appears in the ever-popular Emmy winner Yellowstone decided to do a prequel for the contemporary version of Yellowstone. 1883 is the prequel that brings the ancestors of the Dutton’s to Montana. Season 1 of 1883 just completed and features a cast including Sam Elliott as trail boss Shea Brennon, Tim MGraw as James Dutton, Faith Hill as James wife Margaret, and Isabel May as their daughter Elsa Dutton among others. We also have appearances from the likes of Billy Bob Thornton.

 

The group comes together as Shea and his partner Thomas, played by LaMonica Garrett prepare to assist a group of European Immigrants from Ft. Worth Texas to Oregon, we are introduced to Dutton and his family who decide to ride along to provide some assistance. We see early on that Dutton or his family is not there to work for anyone. His sole purpose is to get to a place to settle with his family, wherever that may be. The Europeans to be helped are blind as to everything that is about to happen and the difficulties of what it means to be a pioneer moving west, facing bandits, Indians, and mother nature herself. On a journey with no forgiveness, they are about to learn the tragedies that will occur, not might occur, but will. From not being able to swim, (the third leading cause of death from those traveling west) to having little or no medical assistance and little knowledge on how to fight not only the elements but the Indians and bandits along the way.

 

This 10-episode series ends up being one of the best, and in my opinion the best season of television ever. If the show continues, it has the potential to be the best series ever. I must admit, I was not personally expecting the fine job of acting presented on the series. Elliott is a genius as much as ever, but we also see a tremendous supporting cast, especially including to my surprise, Faith Hill, Tim McGraw, and Isabel May and LaMonica Garrett. Not since Lonesome Dove has the viewer cared so much for the characters played on screen. We are largely drawn into the story by the narration of the events happening on screen by the oldest child of the Dutton’s, Elsa Dutton. We see her grow up on screen from a daughter who is innocent to a woman, who in her own mind, becomes a cowboy. In the minds of others portrayed, they also notice and observe that change in her life, but 1883 is about so much more.

 

This series is real in so many ways, and me saying that is one of the things that got me into some trouble with some “Christians” as it uses real language and real-life situations, it is violent, graphic in parts and does not water down one iota what was for many, the journey west. From two rough and tough men, Dutton played by McGraw, and Shea played by Elliott, we realize eventually that both men served as Captain’s during the Civil War, one for the North and one for the South. Through their experiences both men have seen and experienced things that while causing them to be callused in some ways, also has them experiencing a sympathy that only they could understand. Whether that be the loss of loved ones or having to send people into battle where you know that unless they are toughened up they are certain to experience death. Death is a part of life, but it is a part of life that is never easy, especially for those who in some ways may be responsible for those who face death.

 

There are so many reasons to love this show, from the well written script to the beautiful scenery but most importantly is the story and the shows insistence to be as authentic to the times as possible. We see the times where war and conflict is unavoidable, we see the value and pain of love, we see a group of people who sought, and made sacrifice to a more meaningful life. We also see that there are consequences for poor decisions, and that sometimes bad things happen even when one makes good decisions.

 

In the end we all will contemplate death. The last episode of the series is titled, This is Not Your Heaven. As the series goes on we are left to ponder life beyond this earth. We think about what is Heaven and how to we get there?  In the thought of Heaven, we are also made aware of the connections we had on this earth. Were those relationships are of value, how do we honor those who go, how are we impacted by those who leave us? Eventually, we all will face death, where will we go with that? Will the things we’ve done on earth matter? All questions that others have thought at some point in life. Ultimately, I considered and thought of my own beliefs of Heaven, I thought of loved ones in my life now and those that have gone on before me. Did I or do I make a difference in their life?  Was there anything I could have, or should have done to help point them to the answers I believe exists regarding Heaven?  I’ll be honest, thinking of these themes, of the ones I loved the series 1883 did something pretty rare. It had me shedding a lot of tears in the end, but along the way, experience happiness, excitement, wonder, and questioning life along the way as I cared about the characters on screen and those in my life it caused me to think about and ponder. I appreciated a world where there was an amount of prejudice we see possibility and improvement, Thomas for example the friend of Shea, the trail boss, is an Afro American who also wears a Union uniform throughout most of the show. Yet because of his role, the life he led and leads, there is little issues in this part of the story. When it comes to helping keep you alive, and providing an act of service, the viewer can see the very things that causes one to change their attitudes and the gratitude that can be shown.

 

For me, 1883 was as close to a perfect season as I’ve ever seen. Hopefully the series continues. We can still see vital characters and how their lives progress and change. Just as in our life, choices must be made, life in and of itself, dictates changes, some we won’t mind, others we will hate, some that will give joy, others that will break hearts. 1883 is about living, dying, and facing the world in front of us. Maybe the world we face now is one of the reasons the series resonated so much for me and others.

 

On a scale of 1 – 10, here is hoping to more in the future.  I give a very generous and, in my mind, deserving of a 10. 


To see the trailer of 1883 click the following link:


1883 | Official Trailer | Paramount+ - YouTube



------------------------------------------------------

For going on some thirty years now I have done the work of The Virtual Pew, in part planting seeds but another huge part is getting to know people and being called by many Pastor Mike by my involvement in social media. From engaging in life, I have seen the impact of my work on people on the fringes all over the world. I have run homeless programs, housed homeless people worked with drug addicts, prostitutes and much more. All while giving back my salary, and for the last 8+ years not taking a salary. You can help tremendously by supporting the work, not just from the movie reviews but the work that goes along side that in the development of relationships of helping save lives and give purpose to the lives of others. I appreciate your consideration in this calling that I have seen and know God uses. 
If willing to help, it is greatly appreciated. I ask you, do not write checks or make contributions to me. All contributions should be made either to The Virtual Pew or Mosaic. The Virtual Pew is a Religious Organization and Mosaic is a 501-C3 nonprofit. 
If willing to help this ministry continue you can donate online at the following.
Pay Pal to The Virtual Pew at mike@furches.org
Pay Pal to Mosaic at mikefurches@yahoo.com
If making contributions via pay pal, please designate as a gift to family or friends as to prevent us from having to pay additional fees to pay pal. 
You can donate at cash app at $MichaelFurches
Donations can be made at FaceBook via messenger to my facebook account Mike Furches
Or you can send a check to The Virtual Pew or Mosaic at the following address.
1249 North Saint Francis
Wichita Kansas, 67214
If desiring more information about this ministry or the testimonials from others, please don’t hesitate to ask. I really am dependent on others to support this missional ministry to keep it going. I have nothing left to give as I’ve depleted, and I’m not complaining, my savings and retirement accounts, now, it really is dependent on you to allow yourself to be used by God to help us out.
I am more than willing to share at your church, business and so forth. I have shared across America as to the work God has done and done for me. I love those opportunities.
Blessings and thank you,
Mike Furches
To Donate via Cash App, donate at $MichaelFurches
Click here to follow The Virtual Pew on Twitter
Mike Furches on Faceboook.
Click to subscribe to my blog
You can also check out Mike's Musical ventures by searching for Mike Furches and Pastor Mike and the Demon Slayer Blues Band. Mary Jane's album is available online and by contacting Mike and the Pastor Mike and Demon Slayer Blues Band album is available on over 150 download formats.
There are hundreds of postings so make sure to check out the archives on The Virtual Pew and Mike Furches Reviews. You can also contact me for a free audio book link of The Keystone Kid at mike@furches.org You can visit http://www.thevirtualpew.com/.
Hopefully, you will consider a gift to The Virtual Pew.
You can donate via paypal at mike@furches.org or cash app at $MichaelFurches
Now I get asked this quite often, Can we repost your blogs or articles? The short answer to that is, what an honor that you would ask, and by all means, spread the word. Here is our contact information
The Virtual Pew
1249 N. St. Francis
Wichita Kansas, 67214
Email: mike@furches.org
To follow Mike's Band, Pastor Mike and the Demon Slayer Blues Band, click the following link:
 
The Pastor Mike and Demon Slayer Blues Band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5lrkdvEZGg
https://www.facebook.com/TheDemonSlayers 
The Movie Guys
Donations to The Virtual Pew
The Virtual Pew Blog
Reviews With Mike
The Virtual Pew Sermons
The Virtual Pew News
 

No comments: