Monday, May 21, 2012

History's Season Six The Universe on Blu-ray

I have to admit, I hadn’t seen a single season of the History Channels’ The Universe until this season. Considering that this is the 6th season of the series, one can’t help but respect the efforts of The History Channel to take on such a massive effort at explaining the mysteries and science of this great universe. I can’t help but also think, that in six seasons, there has to be a repeat of some basic information as it is presented in this largely CGI imagery and discussion involving various scientists from various specialties. I don’t know how much of this series is repeated from the past and how much is new; I can only review based on what I have seen and what I have seen up to this point is season six. In that, I can’t help but be impressed with many things, confused in some, left in awe with others, and perplexed at the totality of this project.

The Universe, Season Six is largely a CGI presented program. While there are images of The Universe that certainly come from real footage, much of what is shown couldn’t be done without CGI. While many television series of this sort fall short in CGI quality, as has even The History Channel at times, this particular series looks quite good via Blu-ray in both the visual and sound qualities of the program. There is enough interview segments and real life video footage that keeps this show entertaining and easy to watch. While I expected a narrative format over the season, each episode appears as a stand alone program. It still comes across as entertaining and educational as each varied program has various subject matters, all of which are well scripted. I have to admit, while I loved science in school I wasn’t a good student and should have taken my studies more seriously. This series would have increased my interest in science specifically regarding the universe and space. The History Channel does a good job at explaining the theories and science of the universe in an entertaining way.

One of the things I liked about The Universe, Season Six, although I don’t agree with all of the conclusions is the willingness to address the possibility of God, and/or other sources, (such as aliens and ufo’s) in the understanding of the origins of the universe. As I watched the series, especially the doomsday episodes of which there are many, I couldn’t help but recognize the complexity of the universe. I am not a scientist, but I consider myself educated and one who has the ability to think outside of the box as well as within the box. I appreciate things like logic and reason and it has been stated by others in the past, I can’t help but think the only logical explanation for the origins of the universe is the hand of God. The complexity of something like the universe, coming about from nothing, takes a greater leap of faith for me than the possibility of God. The complexity of faith, including its own possibilities is a concept that caused me to ponder within my own Christian faith practice.

I follow a faith that centers on the person of Jesus Christ. Aspects of that faith are congruent with other faith systems such as Islam and Judaism. Each of these faith systems recognizes a monotheistic God (singular God.) All would accept the Old Testament, much of their faith books overlap from the point of creation up to several hundred years before Jesus and Muhammad. Each of these faiths speaks of a God, who they claim created the universe, and knows each of us by name. The complexity of God, his ability to create something as massive as the universe and at the same time know each person by name is something I thought about while watching this DVD. I appreciate that various perspectives, including the possibility that God created the universe is presented in a respectful yet, objective way. In the search for the origins of the universe, we also see the universe explained in the very first verse of the Bible, where it states, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” The place of faith in the search of science versus faith includes an act of faith, no matter which concept one believes. Unfortunately, one of the concepts that permeate many is that science and faith are not cohesive or mutually compatible. I disagree and the series, at least in one program may cause one to think of the possibilities.

I realize that for many, many of the concepts of the The Universe, Season Six may be rehashed stories and science. As mentioned earlier, I don’t know as I haven’t seen the previous seasons. I did find Season Six enlightening, entertaining and educational, but more importantly I found it thought provoking, causing me to marvel if you will at the concept that with the complexity of the Universe, I serve a God who knows me by name. That said, there was something I didn’t like about the DVD set, the lack of special features. With a series of this type, it would have been easy to include special features, including complete interviews, varying view points, and the myriads of information that I am sure ended up on the cutting room floor.

I am not certain if the blu-ray quality of this DVD set is a must own for DVD owners. I would say, the low suggested retail pricing and sure to be lower pricing makes it an okay purchase. I would have been glad to pay the few extra dollars on an already low price for the Blu-ray. I just don’t know if everyone will view it that way. I hope that as people watch this, they understand, much of what is presented is theory. While there are certainly doomsday aspects to this series, I am confident in my faith, and find solitude in my belief in a God. I don’t know how one who has no faith in God would feel good about the conclusions in this series. There would certainly be very little, if any hope. I realize that faith is a concept that can’t be measured; I also realize that whatever view on the creation of the universe one takes, there is a measure of faith, whether in God or science. I think there is a third place we can come to with a better understanding of the complexities of the universe that is accurate in using science, yet at the same time, seeing and believing that God is the creator. There is no doubt we live in a complex and massive universe. There is also no doubt that over the years, a great deal of wisdom and knowledge has come about regarding our universe. It is nice to know, this series breaks it down in such a way that we can see and better understand those complexities of the universe we live in. As for me, this series didn’t answer all of my questions, but did make me appreciate the power of God regarding the detail, majesty, and awesomeness of the universe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJv_VePCX7U

The Virtual Pew and our other work is supported solely by the kind contributions of others. You can click on the donate button below to give any amount to this work that does so much more than just post articles on the net.  I draw no ongoing salary from the church I pastor, Mosaic Wichita which is predominantly a homeless church.  I am grateful for any small amount you can contribute to help with this ministry.  Believe me there is  much more going on than most realize.  I will also provide information to verify the ministry and income that comes into this ministry and work.  Thanks and feel free to share any material from The Virtual Pew, I only ask that appropriate credit is given and a link to the original site with the material is provided. 

Click here to read about, and order the book, The Keystone Kid

Click here to follow The Virtual Pew on Twitter

Mike Furches on Faceboook.

Click here to visit Mosaic Church where Mike is Pastor

The Keystone Kid/Virtual Pew Message Boards

Click here for booking information to have Pastor Mike come speak or perform, from speaking to music or magic, something for all groups.

Click to visit with Pastor Mike regarding any of your needs. He will respond to each request personally, and if need be refer you to one of our other pastors.

Click to subscribe to my blog

Click to visit and join our sister group at MySpace Hollywood Jesus.

Now for those that do not know, make sure you check out the numerous articles and blogs by checking out the archives. If visiting The Virtual Pew or MySpace they are archived on the left hand side of the page. Scroll down to where you see newer or older listed under archives and then click there. There are hundreds of postings so make sure to check out the archives. You can also contact me for a free e-book pre edit version of The Keystone Kid at mike@thevirtualpew.comYou can visit http://www.thevirtualpew.com/ and on the front page down on the left side you sill see our store. Your purchase provides needed funds to The Virtual Pew. If you do not see something to purchase you can click on the search engine, (do not put anything in the search box at this time). You will be taken to Amazon where you can search for anything you desire. Hopefully you will consider a gift to The Virtual Pew.

Now I get asked this quite often, Can we repost your blogs or articles? The short answer to that is, what an honor that you would ask, and by all means, spread the word.Here is our contact information

The Virtual Pew
6441 N. Hydraulic
Park City Kansas, 67219

Email: mike@furches.org

Click on the following links to learn more about The Virtual Pew

Donations to The Virtual Pew

The Virtual Pew Blog

Personal Furches Web Site

Mary Jane Furches MySpace Page

Mike Furches MySpace Page

Mike Furches MySpace Blog

Hollywood Jesus

Reviews With Mike

The Virtual Pew Sermons

The Virtual Pew News

MySpace Hollywood Jesus Group

MySpace The Virtual Pew Group

The Virtual Pew Live Radio Web Page

To Subscribe to The Virtual Pew Live Feed

No comments: