Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Superman, Batman, Public Enemies

Back when I was a kid, (a long time ago now) I got into some of the things you read about, comics, baseball cards, the real G.I Joes (ones with hair and representing America) and more. I was asked the other day what video games I played. I kinda laughed because I remember the early days, prior to video games, I even had an early Pong and Atari game board. For me a good time was getting a comic down at the grocery store, a bottle of pop, Drinking the pop, reading the comic, saving the pop lid and if I was really lucky, I would be able to save enough pop bottle caps to go to a Saturday matinee at the Majestic in Downtown Johnson City. Now those were the days.

Some things have changed since I was a child, I certainly can’t trade in pop bottle caps to get into a movie, and G.I Joe stands for everything but what the character was created for. Another change is the role of comics. I still love the books; I love the art, storylines, and many of the characters. I still have many, if not most of my comics from the time I was a kid, I think they may be worth a small fortune, but recently, especially within the DC realm, comics have been making more appearances in animated movies. As a critic of this process, I didn’t know what I would think as I decided to purchase and watch one of the new releases to DVD animated movies by the DC Universe. When I saw the special edition on sale at Target, especially for the low price, I decided to give it a shot. I wanted to see if there were any similarities between the new line DVD movies and the old school, comic book editions.

First I have to make mention of the packaging of this product. I seldom take the time to spend the extra money for the extra DVD that is sometimes included in the packaging, but with the low price of this particular product, I took that splurge, and let me tell you, it was well worth the extra few dollars to get the 2 disc version of this movie. The Special Features disc in my opinion is worth the price of the entire package. Throw in the special features on the feature disc, the downloadable version of the movie; it was well worth the approximate $20. You can find a version for around $10, but I would recommend get the 2 disc version. The packaging, art work, and interviews, and additional features on the additional disc are well worth it. I am a geek when it comes to special features and on this point, I have to say, I haven’t been this pleased in a very long time.

Now as to the feature Superman, Batman, Public Enemies; I have to say, one of the things DC is doing that I love is a retelling of story, with respect for the history of the characters. We see quality story being told not just in a way older teens or young adults will enjoy, but in a way that will entertain and challenge the adult audience. Public Enemies teams up two of the classiest comic book heroes of all times, and DC seems to nail the characters down to a t.

The opening scenes of the movie start off in a way that would cause one to think if a fan of the characters at all. Imagine a world with super heroes, especially Superman and Batman where society has been dooped to the point they elect Lex Luthor as President of the United States. Then imagine the safety of the planet is on the line. What would happen if a politician put their ego, their self absorbed desires at a place of priority over the safety of the world? Imagine this egotistical president was able to bring some of the good guys over to his side, and they felt a responsibility to serve him because, he is the President of the United States. Imagine that scenario and you have a good idea of where Superman, Batman, Public Enemies goes.

One of the things I really appreciated about the feature was the inclusion of super heroes you don’t normally see together, not only heroes though, but villains. As the story progresses, we see an inward side of the characters we don’t always see. We see a strained relationship, where real friendship occurs, yet in some ways, the characters are reluctant to share that friendship. It is only when potential tragedy and loss of life occur that we see these characters friendship come to light. It is only then, in many ways, they realize what they have in regards to the relationship that is more often tumultuous than not.

Superman is often referred to as a savior of the planet, that fits within the realm of creation of the character, yet we see Batman as one who willingly cares about Superman, even to the point where he is willing to give his life to save the life of his friend. There are wonderful reminders here for all of us, it isn’t just that we need our own saviors, but sometimes, it is that we need to be willing to show love, and with that love, sometimes comes sacrifice. We can take this beyond just our faith, if we possess faith, we can take it to the relationships we are involved in. In a world where so many seem to be so self absorbed, a relationship that has integrity, and sacrifice is a refreshing breathe of fresh air, even in a animated movie that mirrors a horribly polluted world, not just environmentally, but from a relational perspective.

I really enjoyed this DVD; I enjoyed it so much that I will find myself looking for several other films in the DC vaults they have been making. With the integrity, detail to story, finding people who love the characters writing that story, and then having them share that love for those characters with the audience, I don’t think we can loose. The only disappointing thing about the DVD, and it is a small thing, is that the actual feature itself only lasted 67 minutes. Don’t get me wrong, the story was tight, production, and everything else surprisingly entertaining and filled with quality. I would have enjoyed another 15 or so minutes and find that with a few more minutes of production, this movie would have been good enough for theatrical release prior to DVD release.

All in all, I don’t think you can go wrong if you are a fan of the genera. While it is rated pg-13 I found it appropriate for ages 10 and up and even for younger audiences with parental supervision. I say this with reluctance as it isn’t within my style, but if you have children, this is a good buy for them, and you will find yourself enjoying it as well. In many ways, I think it is even more for adults, but that is for you to decide. As for me, I can’t wait to see it and others from the DC Universe in the very near future.

On a scale of 1 – 10, for the quality story, and the good time I had watching it, take away two DVD’s in the set and one nasty Lex Luthor and you have one very deserving 7.

The following video is a First Look Presentation of this movie. Simply click on the video to see it. If the video don't appear, just click on the following link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRW3Y-c8GsA


Click here to follow The Virtual Pew on Twitter

Click here to visit Mosaic Wichita, the Church in Wichita Kansas where Mike is the pastor.

Click Here to Go to The Virtual Pew Daily Verse and Read The Bible in a Year Passages

Click here for booking information to have Pastor Mike come speak or perform, from speaking to music or magic, something for all groups.

Click to visit with Pastor Mike regarding any of your needs. He will respond to each request personally, and if need be refer you to one of our other pastors.

Click to visit and join the new group The Virtual Pew, at MySpace. Become a part of a different kind of Christian group, check out the page for more information,all welcome, including those who are not followers of Jesus.

Click to visit the Virtual Pew Website and become a part of that ministry.

Click to subscribe to my blog

Click to visit and join our sister group at MySpace Hollywood Jesus.

Click to visit Mary Jane Furches' new MySpace Page

Now for those that do not know, make sure you check out the numerous articles and blogs by checking out the archives. If visiting The Virtual Pew or MySpace they are archived on the left hand side of the page. Scroll down to where you see newer or older listed under archives and then click there. There are hundreds of postings so make sure to check out the archives. You can also contact me for a free e-book pre edit version of The Keystone Kid at mike@thevirtualpew.comYou can visit http://www.thevirtualpew.com/ and on the front page down on the left side you sill see our store. Your purchase provides needed funds to The Virtual Pew. If you do not see something to purchase you can click on the search engine, (do not put anything in the search box at this time). You will be taken to Amazon where you can search for anything you desire. Hopefully you will consider a gift to The Virtual Pew.

Now I get asked this quite often, Can we repost your blogs or articles? The short answer to that is, what an honor that you would ask, and by all means, spread the word.Here is our contact information

The Virtual Pew
P.O. Box 17731
Wichita, KS 67217

Click on the following links to learn more about The Virtual Pew

Donations to The Virtual Pew

http://www.furches.org/donations/index.html

The Virtual Pew

The Virtual Pew Blog

Personal Furches Web Site

Mary Jane Furches MySpace Page

Mike Furches MySpace Page

Mike Furches MySpace Blog

Hollywood Jesus

Reviews With Mike

The Virtual Pew Sermons

The Virtual Pew News

MySpace Hollywood Jesus Group

MySpace The Virtual Pew Group

The Virtual Pew Live Radio Web Page

To Subscribe to The Virtual Pew Live Feed

Phone Number to Call During The Virtual Pew Live Show, (Please never call prior to the start of the show) - (646) 716-8587

Phone Number to Call During The HJ Live Show, (Please never call prior to the start of the show) - (646) 716-8853

To Subscribe to The Virtual Pew Live Feed -http://www.blogtalkradio.com/feeds/thevirtualpew

To Subscribe to HJ Live Live Feed –http://www.blogtalkradio.com/feeds/hollywoodjesus

No comments: